Friday, January 7, 2011

High Noon

Honor. Some talk about it, some pretend to have it and some people simply live as if it were in their blood. 5 stars.

Follow-up: Gary Cooper deserves every bit of the praise he gets. So many complex things happen happened on his face without copious amounts of dialogue to spoon feed it to an audience.


DONNA'S TURN:

So Jim walked into the room before I was about to watch another movie, handed this disc to me and said "Watch this... RIGHT NOW." I took his word for it and did.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!! Taut writing, wonderful, understated acting, tight direction - this is exactly what I was expecting from Leone but didn't get. I'm really thinking Jim is right - I like westerns, but not spaghetti westerns. Cooper was magnificent and the real-time direction was just marvelous. More like this, please! 5/5

High Noon at Netflix

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, right? And back then they said (critics & industry people) an Austrian Jew couldn't direct an American classic. Well, he nailed it. That moment at the end when he gets on the buckboard wagon after throwing the star in the dirt is just great.

    It's an amazing morality play about honor, duty and responsibility in the face of blatant evil.

    ReplyDelete