Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Double Feature Weekly Wrap-Up, 9/2/12

Welcome to this week's edition of  the Double Feature Weekly Wrap-up! Really difficult pairings with some lackluster films this week - these were some difficult pairings Here are my self-imposed rules taken from my first edition:

  1. No pairing of sequels. Obviously Watching Iron Man 2 with Iron Man would  be a good double feature, but that's so obvious I don't think it should count. Same with pairing it with another film in the Avengers series.
  2. No pairing remakes with originals. Yes, it's tempting to pair the new Arthur with the original, but again that's too obvious.
  3. No pairings with the same director or lead actor unless a REALLY persuasive case can be made.
So, without further ado, here are my double-feature pairings for the week:



  • Dane Cook: ISolated INcident - In a word, this was just bad. Dane Cook may be a decent actor but a good comic he is not. Plus, it struck me he was just liberally stealing material from a number of other comics, including Russell Brand. For that reason, I suggest Russell Brand In New York City as a good pairing - see how it's really done as opposed to this weak-sauce version. Bah.
  • In My Sleep - This thriller had a semi-decent plot but just ghastly acting. I wish it had tried to either be more twisty with its plot devices or to just use a bit more subterfuge in execuating them. IT reminded me in tone of Gothika, better thriller with much better acting that got a little closer to the desired effect.
  • Jesus Henry Christ - This dramedy had a lot going for it - great cast, solid plot, and good direction. I couldn't tell you why I just didn't connect with it as much as I should have - I think if it had taken it's subject a bit more seriously it would have helped. The perfect pairing for this is Jodie Foster's Little Man Tate, a movie that deals with a very similar plot in a more serious and infectious light.
  • Proof - Another film this week where I feel the jury is still out. I'll remember it for Hugo Weaving and Russell Crowe, but the plot was clumsy and got in its own way far too often. I think the director was shooting for a darker, more sinister vibe which she just didn't achieve. I kept being reminded of Stephen Frears' earlier work, in particular Dirty Pretty Things. Frears' noir drama hits the notes to which Proof was aiming and hits them to perfection. I think the pair would make a great double feature night.
  • Half Broken Things - This British low-key drama/thriller was creepy and odd but failed to deliver the suspenseful punch that was intended. Better direction and much better acting would have done it I think. I thought for a while about what to pair this with. I feel like there was a tonal quality missing that would have brought out the best in this script. South Korea's The Housemaid has that missing quality - haunting direction and ephemeral characters that leave you captivated and questioning. However, the plot of The Housemaid isn't nearly as solid or intriguing as that of Half Broken Things. I think watching these two as a double feature would highlight what each is missing and provide a more complete viewing experience.
  • The Art of Getting By - Once again this week a movie just fails to deliver for me. This drama had a decent plot but Freddie Highmore just didn't have the impact for the lead role. I felt like he was doing a bad Anton Yelchin impression for most of the film, leading me to suggest Like Crazy as my double feature pairing. Yelchin and Jones are just magnificent in Like Crazy and it hit every note to perfection.


Happy movie watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment