Thursday, November 7, 2013

In My Skin

This one will be longer because I don't have words for what I just saw. I have never been so profoundly disturbed watching a movie before. From about 15 minutes in straight through to the end I was watching with my mouth gaped in horror, hands clasped over my face. This is a gruesome and chilling portrait, but what makes it so is how accurate and illuminating it is on the issue of self-injury. Yes, this film takes it to a serious extreme, but that's not a fault of the film - it's a blessing if anything. The extreme nature of the film forces you to really think about why this is happening, what purpose it serves, and how far someone might go to numb themselves. The scenes of derealization are just amazing - everything about this is amazing. It's hard to rate this because it's so good but just so hard to watch, I'm going to have to think on this a lot. And, since it will be haunting my dreams, I'll certainly have the chance. 4.5/5

In My Skin on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment