Sunday, December 22, 2013

Monsters

When Gareth Edwards was revealed as the person to helm the reboot of "Godzilla", "Monsters" was touted as the main reason he got the job. And it was confusing for me because I'd swore that I had seen it - I remembered it vividly - but yet I had no rating for it on Netflix. So I rented it again, just to be sure, and I'm so glad I did. Yes, I had seen it before, and it was as sumptuously directed as I remembered. The pacing and storyline are far more like a cerebral drama than a monster movie, which I think tends to throw people off. It is, however, the very definition of ominous, with an ending that hit me like a lightning bolt. The revelation of the end jolted me so hard I restarted the film, searching for a particular moment in a particular scene just to see if I had gotten that right. When I realized I had I was struck by equal parts tragedy and awe at the implications of it all. I'm so glad Gareth Edwards is remaking "Godzilla" - if this is anything to stand by it will be amazing. 4.5/5

Monsters on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment