Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dallas Buyers Club

I've been waiting to see this film for a very long time. To be on-the-table from the start - I'm a HUGE fan of anything Jared Leto does and I'm very much a fan of Matthew McConaughey as well. I walked into this hoping both would be as amazing as all the awards would suggest. However, I also walked into this expecting things I wouldn't like, or things I thought could have been better, or anything that would justify the trans communities backlash against Leto. I found none of those things. I always knew Leto had this performance in him - anyone who has followed his career closely would have known it. I think that most people think of Leto as Jordan Catalano and not much more, so the sweetness and subtlety of this truly transformative performance simply shocked many. On the other hand, Matthew McConaughey has been knocking it out of the park in every film he's been in for the last three years, so how utterly outstanding he was should have been no surprise. This film is borne by it's two stars - without them it would have fallen apart. The plot is not rich, the direction nothing special, but the acting? Well, that's worth everything, and it is truly outstanding from beginning to end. I loved this. 4/5

Dallas Buyers Club on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment