Wednesday, April 2, 2014

12 Years a Slave

It's hard to put into words what I'm feeling right now about this film. It is certainly one of the most powerful and affecting films I've ever seen, and I cried great, ugly tears throughout the end. It's hard for me to think objectively right now, since I still feel as I've been punched in the gut. What I will say - Chiwetel Ejiofor and Lupita Nyong'o were both astonishing and both deserved Oscars for their roles. The story is long but perfectly paced - I can think of nothing I would have cut save for perhaps the tail end of one long shot. I did find Brad Pitt's presence distracting - I wish they had used another actor for his small role. So far, this is definitely the best picture of the year, and I frankly don't see from where the hate for this incredible film stems. A worthy film, most worthy, and I think it will be a while before I forget the emotions I am feeling right now. 5/5

12 Years a Slave on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment