Monday, July 7, 2014

Endless Love

Recently I reviewed the "remake" of the original 1981 release of "Endless Love". I say remake in quotes because, to my memory, it was such a bastardization of the original film as to be nearly unwatchable to me. I've been thinking about the original film every since, and tonight I decided to revisit it. My parents, not unlike Jade's in the film, were also rather bohemian and relaxed in their rules. They took me to see this film in its original theatrical release when I was 10. I also saw "Saturday Night Fever", "Fame" and "The Blue Lagoon", all in their original release, so me seeing a film like this so young wasn't strange. But, because of my youth, "Endless Love" left a real impression on me. I took away from it that love is a strange and powerful thing, capable of both great beauty and tragic sadness, sometimes at once. It's interesting to go back and watch something that was so influential on you as a child, and I wasn't disappointed seeing this film again. The acting was far more atrocious than I remembered, but the dark underbelly of the film was as deep and strong as I remembered. It is a powerful film, and everyone involved in that remake should be drawn and quartered for it. I might be being generous with my rating, but it held up to my memories of it, and that's all I could really ask, isn't it? 3.5/5

Endless Love on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment