Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I Think We're Alone Now

When I was 18, I watched an older friend develop schizophrenia. She developed an intense obsession with a rock star that we both knew in passing. She believed it was her supernatural destiny to marry him, that they were communicating telepathically, that I was the daughter of Satan because I stood in her way. She made pilgrimages to his house, plastered her home with pictures of him, and endangered his family. I know what unhealthy obsession looks like, and what I saw in this film chilled me to the bone. But I have to give tremendous kudos to the filmmaker for not trying to portray his subjects as crazy stalkers, but rather as real people who struggled with mental illness. This film is deeply unsettling to watch, but perhaps more so for me as I've seen this thing up close and personally. Highly recommended, especially since it's only an hour long. 4.5/5

I Think We're Alone Now on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment