Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Theory of Everything

I've still to write about "Birdman" and "Whiplash", but I'm finding this review considerably easier. If one sat down to design a movie to attract Oscar attention, if one tried to distill everything conventionally seen as "Oscar worthy", one would produce this movie. All of the tropes about what types of films win Oscars are present and accounted for here. They are all done exceptionally well, don't get me wrong. Redmayne is as exceptional as he's ever been, and Jones is positively luminous throughout. But it's just so expected, so ordinary a film, so utterly and completely Oscar bait that I found myself drifting. This is as safe of a film as one can make in Hollywood, and, in good conscience, I can no longer award such safety with glittery awards. And as good as Redmayne was (and he truly was exceptional, let's make no mistake there), I cannot see his performance being better or more tranformative than Scott Haze in "Child of God" or James McAvoy in "Filth". Neither of whom, of course, were nominated, because "Child of God" and "Filth" were most certainly not safe films. So my review of "The Theory of Everything" boils down to it's good, but far too safe and basic to garner award notice from me. 4/5

The Theory of Everything on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment