Monday, April 25, 2016

The Bothersome Man

I had a strange reaction to this dark and brooding Norwegian film. It's billed as a black comedy, but I actually found it to be profoundly disturbing in many ways. Given the very dark and violent movies I tend to really enjoy, I found my strong reaction rather odd. There's one particular set of scenes that felt so sadistic and viscerally disturbing that I really got knocked out of the plot while I digested what I had just seen. Having said all that, this is a tremendously interesting movie. People could argue for days about the ultimate meaning of it all and never come to a final conclusion. It's very dark, very dry, and visually impactful - everything you see has some level of meaning. I can't say I enjoyed this per se, but I was intrigued by it and I will think about this film a lot over the next few days. 4/5

The Bothersome Man on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment