Monday, September 26, 2011

Paul

Time for another special FTRQ review for another Potentially Bad Movie Night with Emilie Staat (@emofalltrades on Twitter)! This week we have "Paul", a Simon Pegg/ Nick Frost film about two nerds on the run... with an alien? So how was it? Let's find out!


DONNA:
Since I wasn't a huge "Shawn of the Dead" fan I always fear I'm not going to like a Simon Pegg film. I'm usually wrong, just as I was with "Paul". This comedy was smartly written, perfectly acted and really well paced. It was a truly clever film that rose above the trappings of the absurd quite easily and I really, really enjoyed it. Well done! 4/5

EMILIE:
Paul was really, really funny. Since it is a modern comedy of the "stupid" or "obscene" variety, I was very pleased to see that it has heart as well. Pleased, but I was expecting it, too because I've liked the movies that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have made together. And this movie, unlike some I could name (ahem, Your Highness), actually capitalized upon the very talented, very funny women in the cast. And there are many: Kristen Wiig, Jane Lynch, Blythe Danner and Sigourney Weaver. And the guys weren't half bad themselves. 5/5

**********************************

DONNA'S RATING: 4/5
EMILIE'S RATING: 5/5

Wow - we both really liked this one, and I'm glad of it. Jeez... it seems even when trying to pick potentially bad movies we keep finding gems. Maybe we'll find something truly horrid for our next #PotentiallyBadMovieNight - stay tuned!

Paul on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment