Monday, September 5, 2011

Rubber

EXPLANATION: A while ago I discovered that Emilie Staat (@emofalltrades on Twitter) and I seem to have quite the same taste in films.We've been trading movie opinions back and forth for a while and we both recent saw the trailer for "Rubber", a black comedy about a sentient killer tire. Yeah, I know... that's what we both said. So, on a dare, we both rented the film and both watched it at the same time. Here are our collective thoughts on the film. Enjoy!

DONNA:
Bear with me, this needs explaining so I'm just going to lay it all out here. On the one hand, this movie is absolutely genius. Everything you need is given to you in the first five minutes and the film never breaks it's own rules. It's darkly funny, gorgeously shot, and meta in a truly delicious way. However, on the other hand, this film just gets too clever for it's own good. The pacing is far too slow and the action gets truly incredulous at times. Even though you are told exactly what this film is, I still found myself saying "WTF?" far too many times. The end, however, is really brilliant, and I truly want a sequel. In the end, I actually liked this way more than I thought I would.

So in the end, how can I say I liked this film? No reason. ;) , what did you think? I give it a 3.5/5!

EMILIE:
I'm 4:51 into and I've asked myself, "What the f*&@?!!" at least 20 times. I've laughed four times. I will say I'm intrigued -I didn't see how a 90 minute movie about a killer tire was gonna work.

Wow. That was weird. A commentary on Hollywood moviemaking maybe? I thought it was interesting, unexpectedly fascinating and funny. And a twisted commentary on Hollywood film making, like the part where the motel manager's head explodes and the sheriff pulls a sheet of paper from his shirt pocket (probably sides, which is what we call small versions of that day's script pages for the cast & crew to carry on set) and he says "That's right, the killer is a tire!" with this sort of exasperation that really made me laugh. And the "audience," etc... I'll give it a 4/5 stars, 1 star just for the sheer surprise.

***************************

DONNA'S RATING - 3.5/5
EMILIE'S RATING - 4/5

Well, Emilie and I had been calling this our Potentially Bad Movie Night. Turns out it wasn't nearly so bad after all - in fact, we both quite enjoyed it! My recommendation... rent it! It's totally worth the experience.

Rubber on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment