Thursday, June 14, 2012

Arthur

Oh dear, another novel. I need to explain this one much more so than the last. I hated the original Arthur. Despised it really. I found it nearly impossible to sympathize with the characters, particularly Arthur himself who I loathed. And yet, I always recognized that Dudley Moore is nothing short of genius in that role and that it should stand as a classic for all time. When I head it was being remade I said for the record it should never be touched, but, if anyone were to try it, Brand was the only one to attempt it. I said that long before becoming smitten with Brand, which is the only reason I watched this TBH. I had the same problem with the remake as I did the original - the plot & characters are shit. However I was right - Brand gave an honest & emotional portrayal that Dudley would have loved. The weakest part was Gertler who was awful - Mirren however was amazing. So... just not my cup of tea. 3/5

Arthur on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment