Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Double Feature Weekly Wrap-Up, 8/12/12

Welcome to this week's edition of  the Double Feature Weekly Wrap-up! I had some great movies this week - I hope I do them justice with my double feature picks. Here are my self-imposed rules taken from my first edition:
  1. No pairing of sequels. Obviously Watching Iron Man 2 with Iron Man would  be a good double feature, but that's so obvious I don't think it should count. Same with pairing it with another film in the Avengers series.
  2. No pairing remakes with originals. Yes, it's tempting to pair the new Arthur with the original, but again that's too obvious.
  3. No pairings with the same director or lead actor unless a REALLY persuasive case can be made.
So, without further ado, here's my double-feature pairings for the week:

  • Purple Noon - This original French adaptation of The Talented Mr. Ripley left me quite cold. I found it choppy, uneven, and full of holes. For a better thriller with a similar tone try the much better Perfume: The Story of a Murderer which is resplendent with wonderful acting and a sumptuous story. Trust me, you'll like it better.
  • Interview - Buscemi and Miller really nailed this dramedy - the writing in ia was so smart and quick and their chemistry was spot on. It reminded me of a much better version My Dinner With Andre, a cult classic that I just didn't get but many really love. If you liked Andre you'll love Interview I think.
  • Bel Ami - Oh, Pattison is just so unbelievably amazing in this I simply don't have words. No, seriously... this kid can act. Although I know this character was meant to evoke Valmont I instead would recommend Vanity Fair with Reece Witherspoon as a better double feature. The stories are much more similar and the main character story arcs relate so nicely.
  • Being Flynn - What a marvelous film this was on every level! Paul Dano gave the performance of his life and De Niro was better than he's been in years. Everything about this was amazing - I've no complaints. For a good double feature pair this with It's Kind of a Funny Story, a raw, believable, and powerful story with the best acting you'll probably ever see from Zach Galifianakis.
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox - I've kind of been done with Wes Anderson for a while but this animated film reminded me why I was a fan in the first place. Really marvelous all around. I'm slightly at a loss for a double feature pick as I don't' watch many animated films. The best idea I can come up with is Ratatouille , a joyful film that strikes the same notes.
  • Take Me Home Tonight - I didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I did. The acting was spot on, the writing witty and the plot engaging. It reminded me very much of The Wedding Singer which remains my favorite 80's period comedy ever.
  • The Man with the Movie Camera - This 1929 silent film is honestly one of the finest and most astonishing films I've ever seen, bar none. I am simploy stunned at how many films found there origins here int his brave, revolutionary work. I can't think of a single double feature recommendation for this because nothing can honestly compare. Watch this one on it's own - it deserves nothing less.


There you go, my recommendations for the week. Happy movie watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment