Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Double Feature Weekly Wrap-Up, 8/5/12

Welcome to this week's edition of  the Double Feature Weekly Wrap-up! Tough ones this week - none of these were easy to pair up but I'm happy with my final selections. Here are my self-imposed rules taken from my first edition:
  1. No pairing of sequels. Obviously Watching Iron Man 2 with Iron Man would  be a good double feature, but that's so obvious I don't think it should count. Same with pairing it with another film in the Avengers series.
  2. No pairing remakes with originals. Yes, it's tempting to pair the new Arthur with the original, but again that's too obvious.
  3. No pairings with the same director or lead actor unless a REALLY persuasive case can be made.
So, without further ado, here's my double-feature pairings for the week:

  • The Daytrippers - I realize this is a cult comedy hit. I realize it has a big following of fans. I realize that it makes lists of the best indie comedies around. I didn't see it at all. I found it rather insipid, if I'm being honest, and I really don't get what the fuss was about. What The Daytrippers wants to do  City Island actually does by tightly weaving a comedy script around a group of likeable characters in an witty way.
  • Detention - Oh dear god this was truly awful. I mean terribly, horribly awful in a way that cannot be redeemed in any way, shape or form. It wanted to be the next Scream and failed on every level. You want to know my double feature recommendation for this. NOTHING. Because to be a double feature you'd have to watch Detention and I wouldn't wish that upon any of you. Ugh.
  • Toast - This film is just charming - it's the best word I can think of to describe it. It's fablesque and fabulously acted across the board. It reminded me very much of Billy Elliot in tone and form - I think they'd make a lovely pairing.
  • 49 Up - This was my last UP film for a while, at least until 56 Up hits DVD so I'm slightly in mourning about not having anymore to see. I truly loved every moment of this series and I can't wait to see where our heroes are when next we meet. I'm running out of ideas for pairings for these lovely documentaries so I'm going to go with Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure for this pick. It's a wild story that spans decades and examines human behavior from different angles. It's an interesting film that I think would pair well with this series.
  • The Grey - I fully realize that action thrillers like this usually don't make the bet of sense but this Liam Neeson thriller destroyed any idea of logic very early on and just got worse and worse. Yes, the action was good but I must have rolled my eyes a dozen times - not a good sign. Instead of this watch Adrian Brody in Wrecked, a wonderfully taut, well-written and marvelously acted thriller that will keep you both guessing and at the edge of your seat the whole film.
  • I Saw The Devil - I'm a huge fan of Korean revenge thrillers and this one was no exception. While it was on the whole much more graphically violent than most others in this genre it was just gorgeously shot - it was like watching a painting. Strange to find such beauty in the midst of such horror - one of the reasons I love these films. This would pair perfectly with The Man from Nowhere , another Korean revenge thriller with an similar tone and feel. Both are truly excellent - if you like these types of films you'll love both of these.


There you have it, my double feature recommendations for the week. I hope you enjoy them and happy movie watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment