Saturday, April 18, 2015

Before I Go to Sleep

As I continue my sojourn through the films of 2014, I am becoming more and more upset at the choices the Academy made this last year. This film is no exception. First off, Nicole Kidman well deserved an Oscar nomination for this masterful performance. I haven't seen her this good in many years, and perhaps never this nuanced and mature in a role. Second off, the script of this psych thriller was stronger and more fulfilling than most of the clear Oscar bait that got nominated. Like "Gone Girl", this thriller starts from a terrifying ending and builds backward until the truth is revealed, layer by layer. It's a strong story expertly told by the three leads and beautifully lensed by the director. So why wasn't this film given the nods it deserved? Because it wasn't "safe"? Because it was done open the Hollywood system? Because we've stopped caring about excellent performances outside the mainstream? Whatever the reason, "Before I Go to Sleep" is an excellent thriller that deserved far more. Watch it. Trust me. 4.5/5

Before I Go to Sleep on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment