Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Imitation Game

While this will be longer than a simple tweet, it won't be an essay like some of my last Oscar reactions. It won't be because I've already written what I need to say in my review of "The Theory of Everything", wherein I discuss how Redmayne's performance was wonderful, but yet so safe and predictably Oscar-bait that I could not, in good conscience, reward it. The same is true here. Cumberbatch is lovely and all, but let's have some real talk here. He is playing a high-functioning Autistic Savant with a flat affect, and frankly there isn't much meat to a role like that. It doesn't require the complexity of skill that so many others showed, and the movie itself was, like "Theory", predictable and safe. I won't bother listing the three nominees I still think should have had these spots - I think I've drummed for them enough. Suffice it to say this was a good but terribly safe movie. 4/5

The Imitation Game on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment