Friday, September 11, 2015

La Casa Muda (The Silent House)

I saw the 2012 American remake of this a while ago and had mixed feelings about it. I thought the plot was interesting engaging, with a twist I didn't see coming, but felt the pacing was slow and that Olsen overacted. I've been interested to see the Spanish original for a while to see if it was better. In some ways it is. The house itself is far creepier & I felt Colucci's acting was more believable at the beginning of the film. However, the ending just doesn't make any damn sense in the original film. I've just been reading Wikipedia entries to try and wrap my mind around it but it just doesn't make sense. On this front the American film is FAR superior as the entire ending makes far far more sense. However, I have to say the I think the Polaroid flash sequence in this film may be the most frightening scene ever caught on film. It's just marvelous, as is the entire long sequence after the credits, which I bet most viewers miss. I found both versions long continuous shot believable, although I do see where cuts can and were likely made in both version. All in all I'm even more mixed about this version, because the ending was so weak. I would end up recommending the American for that reason alone. 3/5

La Casa Muda (The Silent House) on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment