Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Deer Hunter

I first saw this film when I was about ten, maybe younger. I remember having nightmares for days afterwards, but, after a few years, I forgot this film almost completely. I remembered only the Russian Roulette, but that was all. The topic of this film has been coming up in reference to modern day PTSD, and I felt it was time I saw it again. I was not disappointed, and I can't understand how I ever could have forgotten the feeling of this film. I saw it last night and was so moved I couldn't write about it then. Still, today, it is haunting me. Yes, I think it needs editing. Yes, It could have been a half hour shorter, maybe more. Yes, the opening act is too long and the second act is too short. But it doesn't matter, because every note that needed to be hit was, and every feeling the filmmakers wanted to convey came through. I will not forgot "The Deer Hunter". Truly one of the finest films about combat PTSD ever made. 4.5/5

The Deer Hunter on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment