Thursday, December 10, 2015

Trainwreck

In many ways this dark-edged comedy is a big step forward for Apatow. I feel Apatow has been treading water for a time and tends to fall back too frequently on his raunchier words rather than relying on his actors to deliver the complex, dark, and yet wickedly funny adult stories he's so good at telling. I like Apatow best when he's dealing with real adults having real problems which can take absurd or raunchy turns. I feel as if he sat down and watched some of the more daring and successful black comedies of like like "Problem Child" and "The Skeleton Twins" before he made this, and I thought the realness matched the adult nature of the comedy well. On another note, this was my first experience with Amy Schumer, and I enjoyed her work immensely. However, the funniest thing in this whole film was John Cena. That.... that was pure comedic gold. All in all, great work from Apatow and Schumer. 4/5

Trainwreck on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment