Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Hollars

I only vaguely remember John Krasinski's first feature, "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men". I remember disliking it quite a bit, but I honestly can't remember why other than feeling that this was just another case of bad people behaving terribly to each other for no damn reason, and it irked me. I also remember that I felt his direction was very promising, and I hoped that his next film would show a maturing of style. This second film of Krasinski's is a definitely step up, but possibly because he didn't write it as well, as he did his first film. The writing was very solid and showed a deep understanding of family, love, and relationships. The acting was strong from all parties, and the direction was impactful and well-paced. I really enjoyed this, and I hope to see more from Krasinski along these lines in the future. 4/5

The Hollars on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment