Friday, September 22, 2017

Colossal

Sorry for the long absence, I have been dealing with some bad health issues. But let's get to this film, because I have some things to say. This is not a comedic film, which was what I was expecting. The trailers would have you believe it is, but it is in actuality very, very dark. It starts somewhat dark, gets darker, has a few witty moments, and then dives full-on into some pretty serious stuff. I feel like writer/director Nacho Vigalondo wanted to make something funny with a bit of darkness, which is a combination that works well. But, instead, he made a very dark and disturbing film with some bizarre moments of levity that were definitely out of place, and I found the occasional humor a bit unsettling. Having said all that, the actual meat of the story is quite good. It's daring, interesting, and it's brought to life with knock-out performances from Hathaway and Sudeikis. As the film barrels towards what becomes an inevitable and tragic end, I found myself wishing Vigalondo had just dived in and really dedicated himself to the darkness of this story, because it would have been amazing. Instead, I found myself both wowed and confused, so a mixed bag here for me. 3/5

Colossal on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment