Thursday, March 17, 2016

I Smile Back

When this movie began I wasn't really sure what I was watching and I wasn't sure how I felt about Silverman's portrayal of the main character. It took a while for me to understand what types of mental disorders Silverman's character had, but once I did, all the pieces of this film began to fall into place. Without spoiling anything, whoever wrote this script really seems to understand mental health and addiction in a deeply poignant way. I've never seen Silverman play drama before, but she leaned into this part like a true master. This was sure a deeply textured and nuanced performance with such a tortured core that I felt it through and through. I'm surprised she didn't get Oscar attention for this quite frankly. The ending was simply outstanding and truly appropriate for the story. This is a triumph of a drama, I highly recommend it. 4.5/5

I Smile Back on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment