Wednesday, July 5, 2017

T2: Trainspotting

I was pretty terrified to watch this if I'm honest. For me, "Trainspotting" was one of those rare films that got everything right. The acting, the writing, the directing, the music... it was all so perfect and I felt there could be no way in hell this sequel could ever live up to that. But, the whole original cast, Danny Boyle back, even the same writers... how could I not watch it? The first 40 minutes were rough. Meeting everyone again, slowly bringing everyone together... something was off. The music wasn't quite right, the direction felt odd, the tone was too serious, because, let's remember, the original is a comedy. And then, exactly 40 minutes in, suddenly, like someone flipped a switch... it was right. Everything was right. It felt like "Trainspotting". It looked and sounded like "Trainspotting". It was truly blessed. Now, even after that magical turn, there were problems. Some things never quite turned around, but, wow... they really did it. They made a worthy sequel, one I laughed and cried at. And, as the gods are my witness, some of Boyle's best shots in his whole career are in this film. If you are a fan of the original, sit through the not-great first 40 minutes, and enjoy most of the rest. 4/5

T2: Trainspotting on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment