Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Big Sick

The trailer for this movie is deceiving. I expected a basic run-of-the-mill Apatow comedy, but this was something different. This was far more a drama than a comedy, with a decidedly dark tone to the whole film. I don't mean dark as in black comedy... I mean dark as in "oh shit, is the main character going to die???" kind of dark. I wasn't expecting it but it worked really well, and I felt the balance of the lighter scenes to the much heavier scenes to be just right for this story. The film was co-written by one of the leads, Kumail Nanjiani, who turned in a strong acting performance as well. The acting was extremely solid all the way through. especially Ray Romano's great performance. I enjoyed this, it hit me in the feels. 4/5

The Big Sick on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment