Monday, November 6, 2017

Beatriz at Dinner

I'm not sure what to make of this film. I have to say at the outset that Salma Hayek was just phenomenal in this, and the rest of the cast turned in gold star performances as well. The direction was quite lovely with some truly beautiful photography. I'm just really stuck on the script. As the film develops, I found it harder and harder to understand what motives were driving the characters, and the ending left me truly baffled. I do freely admit that the point of this script is to force the viewer to question our beliefs about people and their behaviors, but I just felt I needed a bit more to go on to understand and appreciate the ending. I feel like there was some footage left on the cutting room floor that would have gone a long way to making this a more complete vision. As it is, I enjoyed it but felt it could be better. 3/5

Beatriz at Dinner on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment