Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Woodshock

This first film from Kate and  Laura Mulleavy is one of the most ambitious directorial debuts I've even seen. These women held nothing back and created a unique and visually stunning film that was utterly gorgeous. I've seen seasoned directors fail miserably trying to create half the atmosphere and photographic excellence that this film had. As far as the visuals go, I can't say a single thing against it. It's in the script where this film falls down. Much like "A Ghost Story", another recent visually stunning release, this film tries to accomplish much without dialogue or direct pieces of information upon which the viewer can understand the world. However, where "A Ghost Story" succeeded brilliantly, this film falters by leaving far too much unsaid. Without any kind of grasp as to the nature and gravity of the actions taken in this film, I couldn't relate to or connect with the characters. The denouement of this film was shocking, but I suspect, had I really understood the gravity of previous actions, I would have been completely devastated by it. I feel strongly that with a more fleshed out script this could have been an amazing film on every level, and I will be very interested to see what that Mulleavy women do next. 3.5/5

Woodshock on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment