Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Quiet Man

The is my second John Wayne film ("The Searchers" was my first and I loved it), and I definitely enjoyed Wayne in this. He has a striking presence about him, and even though his speaking pattern can be jarring, his ability to move through emotions and convey honesty through everything is refreshing and quite impressive. My problem with this film was the script, and it's not even something that would have bothered anyone when it was released. Quite honestly, the treatment of Maureen O'Hara's character was rather atrocious. She is repeatedly physically assaulted throughout the film, and it's all played for comedy. I guess it was funny to hit, shove, drag, and beat your wife with sticks when this film came out, but it left a really sour taste in my mouth and I couldn't seem to move past it. I wasn't rooting for Wayne's character to win her over - I was hoping someone would arrest him. But that's the changing of the times I guess. However, I couldn't really enjoy the film because of it. 3/5

The Quiet Man on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment