Saturday, June 25, 2016

Rudderless

Long time readers of this blog will know well that, for the last several years, I've been singing the praises of Anton Yelchin and have repeatedly stated he was one of the brightest young stars I've seen lately. When he died so tragically recently I was gutted, as we'd never get to see the fullness of his true potential. I rented this because because of Yelchin, and, as always, he shined brightly in in. I had no idea he could play guitar and sing like this, which made the pain of watching it doubly bad. But, without a doubt, the star of this picture is Billy Crudup, who I often overlook when thinking of truly talented actors. This was William H. Macy's directorial debut, and he picked a challenging and difficult script for it. It's impossible to discuss what transpires without spoilers, so I'll just say I was floored by the turn of events, and thought a lot about all the different responses to that turn. I will also say that I plan to hunt down the soundtrack to this film as it was truly amazing. I loved this film - it was beautifully told and acted throughout. A real gem. 4.5/5

Rudderless on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment