Sunday, February 5, 2017

Identicals

I didn't realize how hated this movie was until I saw pages and pages of one star reviews on Netflix. I don't think I've ever seen any film with this many one star ratings, but I found it more intriguing than most. To start off, the visuals are so gorgeous. Simon Pummell's visual style is breathtaking, and there are sequences in this film - the mirror room scene at the end most of all - that I think I will remember forever. However, the plot was very murky with almost no exposition or understanding of the bleak world in which this film resides. That is the reason most reviewers hated this film - it's nearly impossible to truly understand what's happening, because we are never given the rules of the world. It's just characters meeting and intersecting repeatedly with no real rhyme or reason to it. It's an interesting mix of "Upstream Color" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", but less clear. But I have to say that, muddy as this story was, I was so taken by the visuals and the acting of the leads that I can't give it less than three stars. I don't know that I would recommend it unless you are looking for a visual feast, but I did enjoy more than most. 3/5

Identicals on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment