Monday, April 10, 2017

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

I know I rented this movie when it was first released on DVD, and my review said I hated it. However, I couldn't remember why, so I thought I should rent it again and give it another chance. I'm glad I did. First, before I say anything further, I have to say there are moments in this film of utter brilliance, pieces that are so sublime in their execution that they are, quite simply, perfect. For a first time director, as Krasinski was, this is an incredible achievement. I think the first time I watched this film I allowed the surface layer of emotional shallowness and heartlessness to envelope my whole viewing. However, that's not what's really being said here. What is initially shown as disdain and contempt turns around to actually expose the real insecurity, fear, and self-doubt that men feel when confronted with strong women. I also think I read the lack of depth of the main character to be misogynistic, when it fact it was empowering to have her be the sole pillar of strength in the film. This is a complex film with a lot of layers, and I'm glad I went back to look at it again. I think this is a real triumph for Krasinski, and I hope that other who had similar first experiences like me will also give it another chance, because it really is worth it. 4/5

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment