Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Blair Witch

I need to start this review by stating I am perhaps the biggest "The Blair Witch Project" fan in the world. I was so taken and transformed by the original 1999 film that I devoured any and all canonical material about the film/story, of which there was A LOT. So when I saw that this was an "official" Blair Witch sequel, and I saw that the feel of the trailer seemed right, I got really excited. However, this film let me down in a big way. Remember, the first Blair Witch was the first mainstream found-footage film, and Myrick and Sanchez did everything right. Everything we see was film that could be recovered, and we never saw one single sign of the Witch. That last point is important, because by never showing us the Witch (or anything strange or supernatural at all for that matter), the Witch could have been anywhere or everywhere. But by the half way point in this "sequel", we not only begin seeing footage that could not have been recovered, but we see supernatural events unfolding. And the end... I don't even want to dignify it by talking about it. It's cheap and stale and violates everything that was awesome and sacred about the first film. Why Myrick and Sanchez produced this or allowed it to be called a sequel is beyond me, but I, as a long time fan of the original, am horribly disappointed. 2/5

Blair Witch on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment