Saturday, January 21, 2017

Closet Monster

This is a fairly solid coming of age drama with a few glaring flaws. The direction is very good, with layers of visual metaphors that repeat and enhance the subtext of the film. The lead actors are all quite good, especially Connor Jessup in the lead role of Oscar. My problem is with some of the character development. When we meet Oscar's father when Oscar is a young boy, he is a loving and kind man who treats his son wonderfully and with respect. Quick cut, and now Oscar is a teenager and his father is somewhat of a monster, with the implication being he was always this way. This confused me, as in the scenes from Oscar's early life there was nothing to support this, and I didn't know what I was missing. In fact, all the characters took major detours between where we met them in Oscar's youth and where they were when he was eighteen. This, I felt, was a big flaw in the film that kept me from getting too emotionally tied to any of the characters. Still though, a solid effort with a strong ending. 3.5/5

Closet Monster on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment