Sunday, March 5, 2017

Manchester by the Sea

Wow. I'm still blown away by this. It's a tsunami of emotion, ceaselessly and relentlessly beating the viewer with sadness and helplessness and despair. It does this without having a huge "Oscar moment". There is no break in the tension that is created by all that is left unsaid. When the film was over, I started weeping. I didn't know what else I could do. All of this is because of the performance of Casey Affleck. It was probably the most subtle acting job I've ever seen. Everything is held beneath the surface, all of his character's rage and depression and guilt over things in his past that he can never change. I waited the whole movie for him to break and shed some of the weight he was carrying, but, when the film ended, it was all the harder because he didn't. It's a masterclass of acting, and I can absolutely see why he won the Oscar. Those who won't watch this film are missing out on a performance so nuanced and deft that it will simply break your heart. Watch this film. 5/5

Mancehster by the Sea on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment