Friday, March 3, 2017

Moonlight

This was a tender, complex, heartfelt, and lovely movie. I felt for the characters in the film, and I was drawn into their story wholly. The acting is top-notch, particularly Trevante Rhodes, who I thought gave a masterclass in subtlety in acting. However, I cannot say that this was the best picture of the year. I would even have a hard time putting it into the top five pictures of the year. Of the nine films nominated for Best Picture, I have seen four thus far - "Arrival", "Hell of High Water", "Hacksaw Ridge", and this. I felt all three of the other films were superior to this. And I still feel that, hands down, "Swiss Army Man" was the best picture of 2016, and I will be amazed if my opinion on that changes, as I think that was one fo the best films I have ever seen. I know why this was a popular choice to win, and I do understand it, but I cannot agree with it. It's a great and wonderful film, but just not the best picture of the year. 4/5

Moonlight on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment