Thursday, March 16, 2017

Passengers

I'm struggling to find words here to express how angry I am at this movie. From a purely filmmaking standpoint, this is a good film. The acting is strong, the script fairly well written, the direction tight and cohesive. But the story. Oh, gods, this story. I'm stunned this script made it past studio executives and test audiences without someone screaming how utterly, terribly, horridly violating and rapine this story truly is. I really don't think I've ever seen a movie that more glorified rape culture, or forced us to sympathize with a criminal, disturbed male oppressor and require us to thus thoroughly shame his victim. Pratt's character violates Lawrence's in pretty much every way possible, and yet he is portrayed as the hero and she the clumsy, harpy, shrill woman who doesn't appreciate her partner's abuse. It's like watching a cut of "Room" where Brie Larson's character was portrayed as a nasty, sullen, uncaring witch who just doesn't appreciate how wonderful she has it in this garden shed made for her by the man who "loves" her so much. I feel sick after seeing this, I really do. I normally forgive far more than I really should when it comes to the glorification of rape culture, but I can't condone this. Not this. 2.5/5

Passengers on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment