Sunday, May 7, 2017

Miss Sloane

I am of two minds of this film. The first mind is that it is an excellent thriller. I have loved Chastain since her very first role in "Jolene", and I still think she's an unrated and brilliant actress. The whole of the cast was spot on, but they'd have to be to keep up with Chastain and the amazing performance she gave in this. The plot is also expertly written, and I never saw half the twists coming. But here's the thing, the thing with which the other half of me is troubled. I don't know why it was necessary to demonize everyone to the right of political center in this film. Yes, political posturing was inevitably going to be a part of this, but, how it shook out, everyone working for gun control had ethics and everyone against it were monsters, with one obvious exception of course. It wasn't necessary to the film - it in fact weakened it as I began to feel too many characters were cartoons instead of people. It was jarring and unneeded, and I wish the filmmakers had trusted in their script and cast to carry this film without it. Still, it was an excellent film, and I have to give it four stars. 4/5

Miss Sloane on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment