Tuesday, July 26, 2016

In the Realm of the Senses

I had heard many tales about this film and finally decided to watch it. I was frankly stunned by the explicit nature of it, given it was shot in 1976 in Japan. I found the first half hour somewhat erotic, but the movie quickly took on very disturbing tones. The intensely graphic sex lasted for virtually the entire film, which dulled the effect of it in my view. The ending was just profoundly disturbing. I had no idea how accurately this film displayed details of a true incident that happened in Japan until a couple of minutes ago when I read the article in Wikipedia. If you don't mind really explicit sex, this is an interesting film to see, and certainly an important one in the history of Japanese cinema, but be prepared to be disturbed by much of it. 3/5

In the Realm of the Senses on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment