Sunday, July 24, 2016

Miles Ahead

I get what Cheadle was trying to do with this film, I do. I feel it's much in the same vein as Spacey's ode to Bobby Darin, "Beyond the Sea", in both style and form. And, like Spacey, Cheadle wrote, directed, starred, and played much of the music in this film. Cheadle's acting was strong, but the script.... not so much. It became cartoonish for the most part and never sat down to tell a coherent story. Cheadle let the direction get away from him quite a bit as well. There was one moment when Cheadle, as Davis, pushed the camera out of the way as he passed through the scene. I was so shocked out of the story I had to rewind it and see it again. It was egregious and just tore me out of the film. I was left not knowing what to think about Miles Davis, which I suspect is the opposite intention of the film. Not great for me. 2.5/5

Miles Ahead on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment