Wednesday, November 16, 2016

High Tension

Whoever thinks that American horror has a corner on the gore and brutality market hasn't been watching what the French have been doing. I've seen some French horror films that have pushed all the boundaries of gore and taste directly out the window, and this fright fest is no exception. The direction and effects of the film are quite good, and the two lead actresses really sell the feelings of being trapped with a madman marvelously. However, it's the end twist that I have to take issue with. As interesting as it is, I don't believe it holds up to scrutiny. If you think about it for more than a few seconds, the entire film starts to unravel badly. I'm sorry, but that really ruined what was a strong showing in French horror for me. I'm keeping it at three stars, but just barely. 3/5

High Tension on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment