Monday, November 14, 2016

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

Reviewers of this Netflix original psych thriller are heavily divided about it. Half feel this is a work of brilliance, and the other half feel it's a terrible waste of time. Surprisingly, I find myself in the former camp - I thought this film was stunning. I don't mind slow-moving films, but the pace of this is glacial at best, and normally that annoys me quickly. But I could have watched this for hours, I really could have. The tone and atmosphere of it is just breathtaking, and the scenes are interwoven with poetry that is so haunting and lovely that I was mesmerized. I tried to find the opening monologue somewhere online, but it seems no one has capped or transcribed it. I absolutely feel that there are symbolic layers to this I didn't pick up on in this viewing - I'll have to watch it again to get it all I think. Ruth Wilson was captivating in this - I really enjoyed it. I certainly won't forget it. 4/5

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment