Saturday, August 26, 2017

Mulan

In my quest to watch more animated films, I realized that there was a rather large chunk of Disney films I had missed in the 90's and 00's. I watched "The Little Mermaid" last week when I had pneumonia, and tonight I watched "Mulan". Here's the thing. I hated both of them. Now I remember why I stopped watching animated films, because I was finding I disliked more and more of them. "The Little Mermaid" was so sexist and gender-conforming it was ridiculous. And "Mulan" was so culturally insensitive I was honestly stunned a few times. I see that reviewers on Netflix praise "Mulan" for teaching girls they can be anything, but that wasn't what I saw. The gender and race tone of this film really bothered me a lot. I now understand the argument for the "revolution" as it were of Disney princesses, because what I've been seeing is just bad. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm looking at something 20 years old with the eyes of today, but I just can't get behind these films. I think I'm moving back to the modern era for a bit. 2/5

Mulan on Netflix

1 comment:

  1. As a HUGE Disney fan, I'm finding myself cringing at the older films. I really wanted Xander to watch Peter Pan since we're going to Disney in February and he loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates on Disney Jr. OH EM GEE. I had completely forgotten the whole "What Makes the Red Man Red" song/number. I could not believe how racially insensitive it was. Well, I *COULD* believe it. It's Disney after all. I do still like The Little Mermaid, though that could be my nostalgia talking. I haven't seen it in a long time. Never saw Mulan, and have no desire.

    ReplyDelete