Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Childhood of a Leader

I don't even know how this film ended up in my queue, but I'm so glad it did, because it just blew me away. This is the actor Brady Corbet's directorial debut, but it felt like the polished hand of Kubrick more than the the first work of a new director. It was lush and beautifully framed throughout in impressive fashion. But I have to talk about the score for this, because that was the real star. The moment the credits started and the overture began, I was captured. The music is bombastic and cacophonous and just perfect in every way. I was utterly entranced by it, so imagine how stunned I was when I saw that it was none other than Scott Walker who composed it. I only recently discovered Walker in a documentary called "Scoot Walker: 30th Century Man" about his life and career, and, when I saw it, I really disliked his work, rather immensely so in fact. Clearly I need to listen again, because this was amazing. This movie won't be for everyone. It's brash and intense and stylistic and nebulous, and I will say I didn't get the very very end at all, which is why I deducted a half star. But I loved it, really. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

The Childhood of a Leader on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment